We are looking to hire a Deputy Director
The Stichting Female Journalists Network (SFJN) is a nonprofit association, registered in The Netherlands since 2013. It seeks to build bridges between media and the Syrian women’s movement by enhancing and empowering both men and women working in the field of media, by empowering women journalists to take over leading positions in their institutions, and by activating the role of the media in raising social awareness concerning gender equality and women’s issues. The SFJN also works on improving the representation of women in the media to achieve a Syrian society that is fair to all of its men and women citizens, and to realize a positive social change in thinking and behavior with respect to matters surrounding gender justice and equality. for more info: www.sfjn.org
About the Deputy Director position
Under SFJN’s Executive Director’s supervision, the Deputy Director is responsible for overall coordination of SFJN programs as well administration.
This is a leadership position requiring an experienced senior level professional. It is full-time.
The candidate needs to be based in the Netherlands. Female Candidates will be given a priority.
Strategic Management and Leadership
- In collaboration with the Executive Director, the Deputy Director will be responsible for drawing the strategic directions of SFJN and implementing all administrative/program strategies within the required time-frame and regulations.
- Support the management of the organization’s strategic plan, budget and fundraising strategy.
- Supervise and mentor senior staff to ensure quality work and accountability.
- Ensure the operationalization and adherence to all SFJNs’ policies and procedures.
- Create a supportive environment that fosters personal responsibility and commitment to SFJN goals and values.
- Identify best practices and improve internal systems with an eye towards future needs.
- Direct and manage the overall operations of SFJN in the Netherlands and remotely.
- Prepare program goals and objectives, help draw budgets, evaluate progress and effectiveness of all staff. Provide support to all its members to achieve all project deliverables within the required time-frame and prepare all work plans and grant deliverables as per requirement.
- Oversee the financial management and be responsible for ensuring quality and integrity of the systems and policies.
- Oversee management of contracts, procurement, and operations.
- Oversee human resource management at SFJN.
- Provide support and oversight to the team in all program planning, budgeting, documentation and monitoring.
- Ensure timely, accurate and quality financial and narrative reporting compliance with donors.
- Ensure efficient and functioning operation systems.
- Foster interdepartmental linkages, communication and synergies within SFJN.
- Implement and foster adherence to the established SFJN policies, regulations, guidelines and procedures and strengthen feminist governance.
- Contribute effectively to the overall strategic visioning, conceptual development, planning and monitoring of SFJNs’ work.
- Ensure adherence to policies and statutory compliance.
Internal and External Relations
- Facilitate internal processes for SFJN staff that build skills and commitment to organizational values and social justice.
- Demonstrate effective, value-driven leadership to all SFJN staff.
- Foster a conducive environment that is transparent, accountable and supportive.
- Work collaboratively with the Directors on strategic decisions and leadership of SFJN .
- Manage donor relations in collaboration with the Directors.
- Building and maintaining strong relationships with key journalists/ media organizations on national and international levels.
- Networking and building good relations with potential local and regional partners and donors.
- Manage communication with donors, public and third parties in coordination with the Executive Director according to time frame.
- Represent the foundation on an international level.
- The Deputy Director will lead all SFJNs’ operations and oversee programming remotely. She will report to the directors of SFJN.
- The Finance Manager, program managers and coordinators will report directly to the Deputy Director.
- Master’s degree desirable
- At least 10 years work experience with at least 5 years in executive leadership roles, experience in Syria is an advantage. We will not proceed with your application if this criterion is not met.
- Personal integrity and transparency, serving as a role model for others.
- Enthusiasm and willingness to champion SFJNs’ values.
- Strong organizational and management skills.
- Effective in motivating staff to deliver quality results on time.
- Keen appreciation of quality and standards with the ability to take responsibility for delivering quality results despite challenges.
- Strong analytical and conceptual skills with the ability to see both the big picture as well as micro issues.
- Fluency in English and Arabic, both oral and written.
- Excellent writing skills with the ability to synthesize, understand and communicate complex issues effectively and in a timely fashion.
- Strong computer skills including Microsoft Office, Quickbooks and social media
- Quick learner
Please send your application to the following email address: [firstname.lastname@example.org] with the subject line ‘Deputy Director’ by May 31, 2020 with the following:
- A thoughtful cover letter that includes why you are interested in this position at this point in your career
- Your CV
- A one-page statement on how you will maintain a positive, feminist, values-based organizational culture.
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please review qualifications and competencies carefully; unqualified candidates will not be shortlisted.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted by June 10, 2020.
- Position will remain open until filled. If advert remains on our website past May 31, 2020 you are welcome to apply at that time (no repeat submissions please). If you do not hear from us within two weeks of your submission, please consider your application unsuccessful on this occasion.