SFJN Is Looking For A Communication Officer
The Stichting Female Journalists Network (SFJN) is a non-profit organization, registered in The Netherlands since 2013. It seeks to build bridges between media and the Syrian women’s movement by enhancing and empowering both men and women working in the field of media, by empowering women journalists to take over leading positions in their institutions, and by activating the role of the media in raising social awareness concerning gender equality and women’s issues. SFJN also works on improving the representation of women in media to achieve a Syrian society that is fair to all of its men and women citizens, and to bring about a positive social change in thinking and behaviour with respect to matters surrounding gender justice and equality.
Under the supervision of SFJN’s General Program Manager and Executive Director, the Communication Officer will work closely with the Program Coordinators, the content specialist, and members of SFJN’s network.
As part of SFJN, the communication officer:
- Aligns with our mission and values which stand from an intersectional feminist perspective.
- Has extensive knowledge and experience in the Syrian context and is able to translate the impact of SFJN’s work into clear communication messages tailored to the target groups.
- Has an eye for reputation management and is experienced in non-violent communication
KEY ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Respond to media inquiries, arrange interviews, and act as a spokesperson for the organization.
- Maintain records of media coverage and collect analytics and metrics.
- Organize the social media campaigns and posts regarding special and international days (Women’s day, World Press Freedom Day, etc.)
- Support SFJN team in identify and map of potential strategic partner CSO’s, Women’s Rights organizations and informal women’s groups.
- Organize or participate in the organization of conferences, seminars, press briefing, interviews, etc.; prepare briefing materials for senior officials prior to their participation in such events.
- Write, edit, and distribute content, in Arabic and English including publications, press releases, website content, annual reports, monthly newsletters, speeches, and other content that communicates the organization’s activities and updates.
- Help design and implement fundraising campaigns.
- Help design and implement the advocacy campaigns for the whole organization and per program.
- Publish, disseminate and promote the content/production/report generated by different programs.
- Coordinate and follow up with web developers and take part in designing and updating of SFJN websites
- Work closely with the in-house graphic designer as well as any external graphic designers
- Create training materials on women politicians representation in media
Qualifications and Experience
- Degree in Communications, Journalism, media, Digital Media, or similar fields.
- Minimum 3 years of experience in development and implementation of communications strategies, Public Relations.
- Strong oral, written and copy-editing skills in Arabic & English, and ability to draft/write strong media, communication and advocacy materials.
- Good time management and organizational skills.
- Detailed knowledge of the Syrian context (particularly Syrian Media Landscape).
- Ability to meet deadlines and work within a stressful environment.
- Knowledge of desktop publishing software (InDesign/Photoshop).
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, content management systems, and social media platforms (Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and Website).
- Personal Qualifications:
- Prove to support SFJN’s organizational values: promote feminist media for social change, advocate for intersectional feminism, human-rights based, inclusive, antimilitarization and antidiscrimination;
- Perform well under pressure, a strategic thinker and politically sensitive, and work in a results-based manner. Not afraid of taking initiative;
- Analytical skills and the ability to prioritize;
- Strong intercultural competences and communication skills;
- Available to start working as soon as possible;
Please send your application to the following email address: email@example.com with the subject line ‘Communication Officer’ by March 19th, 2021, with the following:
- A thoughtful cover letter that includes why you are interested in this position at this point in your career and how you will maintain a positive, feminist, values-based organizational culture.
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please review qualifications and competencies carefully; unqualified candidates will not be shortlisted.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted by March 20th, 2021.
- The position will remain open until filled. If the advert remains on our website past March 20th, 2020 you are welcome to apply at that time (no-repeat submissions please). If you do not hear from us within two weeks of your submission, please consider your application unsuccessful on this occasion.