SFJN IS LOOKING FOR A SAFETY AND PROTECTION COORDINATOR
The Stichting Female Journalists Network (SFJN) is a non-profit organization, registered in The Netherlands since 2013. It seeks to build bridges between media and the Syrian women’s movement by enhancing and empowering both men and women working in the field of media, by empowering women journalists to take over leading positions in their institutions, and by activating the role of the media in raising social awareness concerning gender equality and women’s issues. SFJN also works on improving the representation of women in media to achieve a Syrian society that is fair to all of its men and women citizens, and to bring about a positive social change in thinking and behavior with respect to matters surrounding gender justice and equality.
Under the supervision of SFJN’s General Program Manager, the protection coordinator will work closely with the Safety And Protection Coordinator, the content specialist, and members of SFJN’s network.
The protection aspect of the safety program is intended to focus on extending psychological support and technical advice to women journalists and media workers who might be at risk of having psychological or mental stress. The safety and protection coordinator will also be on top of developing all needed resources in terms of policies and guidelines.
As part of SFJN, the program coordinator:
– Aligns with our mission and values which stand from an intersectional feminist perspective.
– Has extensive knowledge and experience in the Syrian context and is able to translate the impact of SFJN’s work into clear communication messages tailored to the target groups.
– Has an eye for reputation management and is experienced in non-violent communication
Key Roles and Responsibilities
Plan and oversee the implementation of protection aspect activities of the program in coordination with the General Program Manager and in accordance to program objectives for the year in a timely manner
Review and update existing protection policies and develop new policies and guidelines where and as needed.
Promote women protection environment within the organization’s culture
Develop and implement a case management mechanism policy for protection cases adopted/received by SFJN
Develop a tracking system for cases received by SFJN to monitor and document the progress of response and support provided.
Develop a network of protection service providers for women and journalists providing advice, referral of cases, information sharing, and cooperation.
Deliver security-related training and orientation internally and externally to partner organizations as needed and in accordance with the program’s annual plan.
Provide technical advice on all protection related matters within the program and organization.
Support on reporting and budget management when needed
Support on the fundraising proposals and concept note writing
Representation and general tasks
Being in constant communication with content specialist and communication officer to have accurate and updated information regarding the dissemination and visibility of project-related content Represent the organization when needed and provide input in terms of protection issues
The applicant is expected to have:
– Computer literacy – understanding the landscape of online communications from working in Microsoft Office / Google Docs and Sheets to using content management systems, knowledge of search engines to conduct desk research, online conferencing platforms, and instant messaging applications.
– Writing proficiency – Good reporting skills to write and edit with speed and accuracy, displaying a strong knowledge of Arabic and English grammar and the ability to create clear, engaging, and informative text.
– Organizational skills – organized and efficient, keeping track of content throughout the editorial process and ensuring that work is submitted on time
– Educational background – Bachelor’s in Human Rights, Journalism, Media, or related field. Knowledge and/or experience on gender-related and protection topics and projects.
– Understanding of the Syrian context.
– Communication Skills: to be able to engage with team members and partners, represent SFJN when needed and lead on program-related coordination and communication.
*The program coordinator should have a strong affinity with the gender-related themes that are central to the projects of SFJN and insight into how international development organizations work.
– Analytical skills and the ability to prioritize.
– Strong intercultural competencies and communication skills.
– Result oriented and structured.
– Works under pressure
– Team player
– Willingness and ability to travel to other countries in MENA and internationally.
Please send your application to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line ‘Protection Program Coordinator’ by February 19, 2021, with the following:
– A thoughtful cover letter that includes why you are interested in this position at this point in your career and how you will maintain a positive, feminist, values-based organizational culture.
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please review qualifications and competencies carefully; unqualified candidates will not be shortlisted.
– Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted by February 28, 2021.
– The position will remain open until filled. If the advert remains on our website past February 28th, 2020 you are welcome to apply at that time (no-repeat submissions please). If you do not hear from us within two weeks of your submission, please consider your application unsuccessful on this occasion.