We Are Looking For A Project Assistant
Project assistant part-time for Women Peace and Security
The Stichting Female Journalists Network (SFJN) is a non-profit organization, registered in The Netherlands since 2013. It seeks to build bridges between media and the Syrian women’s movement by enhancing and empowering both men and women working in the field of media, by empowering women journalists to take over leading positions in their institutions, and by activating the role of the media in raising social awareness concerning gender equality and women’s issues. SFJN also works on improving the representation of women in media to achieve a Syrian society that is fair to all of its men and women citizens, and to bring about a positive social change in thinking and behaviour with respect to matters surrounding gender justice and equality.
Under the supervision of Women, Peace and Security Project Coordinator and the General Program Manager, the project assistant will work closely with the content specialist, communication officer and members of SFJN’s network.
This program focuses on addressing the role of the media in peace building, gender equality and implementation of UNSCR 1325.
As part of SFJN, the project assistant:
- Aligns with our mission and values which stand from an intersectional feminist perspective.
- Has extensive knowledge and experience in the Syrian context and is able to translate the impact of SFJN’s work into clear communication messages tailored to the target groups.
- Has an eye for reputation management and is experienced in non-violent communication
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Provide support and create balance in the time and scope of executing program related activities under the direct supervision of the project coordinator
- Assistance in the development of short- and long-term project plans and activities, project preparation and funding requests, monitoring their evaluation, ensuring their commitment and evaluating their performance
- Implement the activities of the project and the drafting of internal and external reports in Both Arabic and English as needed in accordance with the criteria adopted by the SCM and from the donors.
- Prepare summaries of various activities, as needed, under the guidance of the direct manager and document and save and archive relevant information, documents and data in accordance with the specific needs of the project and in accordance with the organization’s digital security policies.
- Facilitate and/or organize and/or hold regular meetings/activities with specific individuals and entities to support and develop positive relationships, lead meetings and formulate periodic reports on them.
- Coordination with partners, media and other stakeholders to explain and promote the project under the guidance of the direct manager and in coordination with the media and communication at the SCM
- Compliance with the professional standards provided for in the relevant regulations, protocols and laws.
- Maintaining and protecting the confidentiality and privacy of beneficiaries in any case and through all documents and data
Representation and general tasks
- Being in constant communication with content specialist and communication officer to have accurate and updated information regarding the dissemination and visibility of project-related content Represent the organization when needed and provide input in terms of protection issues
The applicant is expected to have:
- Communication Skills: to be able to engage with team members and partners, represent SFJN when needed and lead on program-related coordination and communication.
- Computer literacy – understanding the landscape of online communications from working in Microsoft Office / Google Docs and Sheets to using content management systems, knowledge of search engines to conduct desk research, online conferencing platforms, and instant messaging applications.
- Writing proficiency – Good reporting skills to write and edit with speed and accuracy, displaying a strong knowledge of Arabic and English grammar and the ability to create clear, engaging, and informative text.
- Organizational skills – organized and efficient, keeping track of content throughout the editorial process and ensuring that work is submitted on time
- Educational background – Bachelor’s in Human Rights, Journalism, Media, or related field. Knowledge and/or experience on gender-related and Women Peace and Security topics and projects.
- Understanding of the Syrian context.
*The project assistant should have a strong affinity with the gender-related themes that are central to the projects of SFJN and insight into how international development organizations work.
- Analytical skills and the ability to prioritize.
- Strong intercultural competencies and communication skills.
- Result oriented and structured.
- Works under pressure
- Team player
- Willingness and ability to travel to other countries in MENA and internationally.
Please send your application to the following email address: email@example.com with the subject line ‘Project Assistant WPS’ by 17th March with the following:
- A thoughtful cover letter that includes why you are interested in this position at this point in your career and how you will maintain a positive, feminist, values-based organizational culture.
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please review qualifications and competencies carefully; unqualified candidates will not be shortlisted.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted by March 19th, 2021.
- The position will remain open until filled. If the advert remains on our website past 20th March 2021 you are welcome to apply at that time (no-repeat submissions please). If you do not hear from us within two weeks of the final date for submission, please consider your application unsuccessful on this occasion.