We Are Looking For an Executive Director
Stichting Female Journalist Network is looking for an Executive Director based in the Netherlands, for 40 hours per week. Starting as soon as possible.
The Stichting Female Journalists Network (SFJN) is a nonprofit association, registered in The Netherlands since 2013. It seeks to build bridges between media and the Syrian women’s movement by enhancing and empowering both men and women working in the field of media, by empowering women journalists to take over leading positions in their institutions, and by activating the role of the media in raising social awareness concerning gender equality and women’s issues. The SFJN also works on improving the representation of women in the media to achieve a Syrian society that is fair to all of its men and women citizens, and to realize a positive social change in thinking and behavior with respect to matters surrounding gender justice and equality. For more info: www.sfjn.org
About the Executive Director position
The Executive Director is responsible for overseeing the administration, programs and strategic plan of the organization. The position reports directly to the Board of Directors.
This is a leadership position requiring an experienced senior-level professional. It is full-time, to be based in the Netherlands. Priority will be given to women candidates.
Strategic Management and Leadership
- The Executive Director will be responsible for drawing the strategic directions of SFJN and implementing all administrative/program strategies within the required time frame and regulations.
- Support the General Program Manager and the Financial Officer in the management of the organization’s strategic plan, budget and fundraising strategy.
- Promote a supportive environment that fosters personal responsibility and commitment to SFJN goals and values.
- Identify best practices and improve internal systems with an eye towards future needs.
- Responsible for the overall operations of SFJN in the Netherlands and remotely.
- Prepare program goals and objectives, approve annual budgets, evaluate progress and effectiveness of all staff. Provide support to all its members to achieve all project deliverable.
- Oversee the financial management and be responsible for ensuring quality and integrity of the systems and policies.
- Support the HR officer with human resource management and oversee recruitment and hiring processes.
- Responsible for signing all agreements, reports and other instruments made and entered into and on behalf of SFJN.
- Foster interdepartmental linkages, communication and synergies within SFJN.
- Implement and foster adherence to the established SFJN policies, regulations, guidelines and procedures and strengthen feminist governance.
- Contribute effectively to the overall strategic visioning, conceptual development, planning and monitoring of SFJNs’ work.
Internal and External Relations
- Responsible for communicating effectively with the Board and providing, in a timely and accurate manner, all information necessary for the Board to function properly and to make informed decisions.
- Demonstrate effective, value-driven leadership to all SFJN staff.
- Foster a conducive environment that is transparent, accountable and supportive.
- Manage donor relations in collaboration with the General Program Manager.
- Building and maintaining strong relationships with key journalists/ media organizations on national and international levels.
- Networking and building good relations with potential local and regional partners and donors.
- Represent the foundation on an international level.
Education and experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Media/Gender/Humanitarian Studies/ Management or any related field required and a Master degree is desired.
- At least 10 years work experience with at least 5 years senior nonprofit management experience. Experience within the Syrian context is a must. We will not proceed with your application if this criterion is not met.
Knowledge, skills and abilities
- Transparency and high integrity feminist leadership.
- Enthusiasm and willingness to champion SFJNs’ values. Full commitment to SFJN’s vision, mission and values;
- Strong analytical and conceptual skills with the ability to see both the big picture and micro issues.
- High level strategic thinking and planning. Ability to envision and convey the organization’s strategic future to the staff, board, volunteers and donors.
- Ability to effectively communicate the organization’s mission to donors, volunteers and the overall community.
- Solid organizational abilities, including planning, delegating, program development and task facilitation.
- Active fundraising experience. Excellent donor relations skills and understanding of the funding community.
- A history of successfully generating new revenue streams and improving financial results.
- Demonstrated ability to oversee and collaborate with staff.
- Experience and skill in working with a Board of Directors.
- Strong written and oral communication skills both in English and Arabic.
- Strong public speaking ability.
- Annual salary in the range of Euro 36000-45000 depending on experience
- One year contract
- Holiday allowance
How to apply
Please send your application to the following email address: email@example.com with the subject line ‘Executive Director’ by October 15, 2020 with the following:
- A thoughtful cover letter that includes why you are interested in this position at this point in your career including statement on how you will maintain a positive, feminist, values-based organizational culture.
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please review qualifications and competencies carefully; unqualified candidates will not be shortlisted.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted by October 30, 2020.
Position will remain open until filled. If advert remains on our website past October 15th 2020 you are welcome to apply at that time (no repeat submissions please). If you do not hear from us within two weeks of your submission, please consider your application unsuccessful on this occasion.